Friday, September 4, 2009

Season Off to a Bangin' Start

I'm not sure what Boise State DE Byron Hout said - but he was clearly talkin' some smack.  And SMACK is what he got.  Oregon RB LeGarrette Blount didn't even hesitate with his right jab.



After cooling off, Blount (the puncher) made this, probably futile, apology:

"I couldn't have envisioned anything worse right here," said Blount after the game. "That will never happen again. I will never lose my head like that again. I apologize. I will never resort to that level. I should have handled that situation a lot better than I did."

Yeah - whatever.   Emotions running high, disappointing start to a season, blah blah blah.  This is (brace yourselves, mealy-mouthed apologists of the world) thug behavior.

What would I expect?  Well, I'd expect a senior RB to have enough maturity to take any of the following, far more appropriate actions when a victorious rival fronts him with smack talk:

A.  Just keep walkin', dude. 
B.  Make a quick, appropriate retort - something witty like "Fuck You" would've done nicely
C.  Or how about one of those "That's not what your Momma told me in bed last night" jokes?

Anything besides throwing your season away by resorting to violence.

I don't know Blount - I don't know if this is par for his course, or something freakish.  Judging by his reactions to fans after the punching, I'd say it's safe to assume Blount is a hot head - he almost got into it with some Boise State jerks taunting him on his way to the locker room.  He has been on troubled ground with Oregon coach Bellotti before. 

He needs to get suspended for a significant portion of the season if not the entire season.  NCAA football does not want to go the way of the NBA.

3 comments:

  1. This guy was in the heat of battle with his adrenaline flowing a thousand miles an hour...this stuff happens, especially with competitors...will leave this up to the coaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Blount is done for the year. Hout (taunter) will get "internal discipline" but he also deserves to miss at least a few games, IMO.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be rude. Or I will delete your comment. Questions?